FIRST, WHAT ACTUALLY IS DETOXIFICATION?
#letsbefrank, detoxification is an overused word in beauty land.
What people think it means: Removing the bad stuff that’s clogging your pores.
What it actually means: Removing toxins from your body. Your liver does a pretty good job at that all by itself.
So, let me clear this up, babe. Toxins can’t exit your body through your skin. But other impurities can, like dirt, dead skin, bacteria, sweat, and excess oil.
HOW TO “DETOX” YOUR FACE:
It’s simple, really. Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturise.
- Cleanse: The simplest way to remove impurities that sit on your skin and clog your pores. Like makeup, sweat, excess oil, sunscreen. Bonus points for double cleansing.
- Exfoliate: It removes the dead skin cells that fall off and block your pores, causing breakouts, dullness, and dry skin.
- Moisturise: It protects & strengthens your skin barrier, helps balance oil production, and blocks out free radicals.
“What can I use to detox my skin?”
Looking for a skin detox? Look for products that include deep cleansing ingredients, like charcoal, kaolin, and niacinamide. These bad boys are known to absorb impurities, draw them out, and balance skin tone and texture.
HOW TO “DETOX” YOUR BODY:
Want to detox your skin from the inside out? Luckily, you don’t have to try too hard. Your body has organs that do most of the hard work for you: your liver, lungs, and kidney.
What you can do is cut back on things that make these parts of you work overtime:
- Wine: Too much wine can cause redness and hangovers. Have a glass instead of a bottle.
- Sugar: A key player in inflammation. Keep the fruit, ditch the processed types.
- Dairy: It’s linked to changes in skin texture, tone, and breakouts. But #letsbefrank, ice-cream and cheese boards happen.
- Smoking: It damages skin, speeds up ageing, and leaves you looking dull. This one can go altogether.
HOW TO “DETOX” YOUR MIND:
It’s one of my favourite parts of you. But it’s easy to weigh it down with toxic thoughts.
- Go outside and take a few deep breaths, just for a few minutes.
- Unfollow anyone that makes you sad or mad.
- Write down your thoughts, especially if they’re dirty.
- Stop comparing your BTS to someone else’s highlights reel.
- Think about what makes you happy. That one’s easy: you do, babe.
HOW TO “DETOX” YOUR LOVE LIFE:
Breaking up with your breakouts is easy. Your lover on the other hand? That’s a little more complicated.
- Delete your ex’s number. While you’re at it, unfollow them too.
- Clear your messages. #letsbefrank, I’m the only one you want sliding into your DMs.
- Keep the apps you like, delete the ones you don’t.
- Crushing on a babe you’ve never spoken to? Stop overthinking and make a move.
When you need to cut the BS from your life, I’ll always be here to give it to you straight and simple: unfollow, cleanse, mask, chill.